Friday, May 10, 2013

Cosplay: Female Engineer from Team Fortress 2

In my cosplay series, I examine each costume I make, how I created it, what I would do differently, and so on! For more cosplay posts, just look in the cosplay tag here or sort by costume here. For cosplay tutorials, check out the Cosplay 101 tag.

Female Engineer from Team Fortress 2 Cosplay

This is one of my all-time favorite costumes to wear! It feels like I bring it out almost every convention. It was also one of my very first "real" costumes to complete!

I really love the freedom of interpretation that these kinds of genderbend costumes allow. I've seen so many different takes on female Team Fortress 2 characters, all of them unique and special in their own way! I am happy to add my hat to the ring.
Engineer from Team Fortress 2

Female Engineer from Team Fortress 2

Back when I used to play games a lot, TF2 was my go-to, and Engineer was my main class. Aside from loving the gameplay strategies the Engineer used, I adored his personality. I had always wanted to do a female version as a costume, but it took a while to get the push to do it.

A friend of mine who used to cosplay (male) Engineer was retiring his costume and gifted me all of his accessories, making it much easier for me to throw the rest of the costume together! Everything is hodgepodged from different locations. I am particularly fond of the bright color of the shirt and the girly details it has -- I found it right before the convention at a Plato's Closet!

Conventions

  • Ikkicon 2011
  • A-Kon 2012
  • Comet Con (3rd place in the cosplay contest!)
(I feel like there are more but I'm having a hard time remembering!)

Engineer from Team Fortress 2

Materials

Hardhat, glove, kneepads, goggles: Home Depot (gift from my friend)
Wig: Arda Wigs
Shirt: Plato's Closet
Engineer Class Patches: Neither Sparky on Etsy (hard to see, but they are there!)
Suspender shorts: Forever 21
Belt: Mom's
Boots: Forever 21


I like...

I love this character and how comfortable this costume is! It's easy to put on, recognizable, and I can wear it all day with ease.

Since there is no official female version of the classes, I  had a lot of freedom in deciding what direction I wanted to go in. I've seen a whole range of female TF2 costumes, and they all have their own charms, whether they are dead-accurate or pin-up versions.

As I was picking out costume pieces, I tried to keep in mind what a female version of the Engineer would wear -- nothing too fussy or difficult to wear in battle, but with a few extra girly elements. I think I succeeded in making a costume I felt captured his personality, but balanced with some added femininity.

Engineer from Team Fortress 2

I don't like...

I can't believe how long I've had this costume to still not have a prop for it! I really want to make a wrench and maybe a suitcase dispenser, but I keep forgetting until it's too close to the convention.

Next time, I'll...

I definitely want to have the wrench ready next time I wear this costume. Also, if I can find some actual overall shorts rather than suspender shorts, I'd prefer that, but so far I'm having a hard time finding any that fit right. Other than that, I may need to replace my boots soon, but the rest of my costume is good to go!


If you liked this post, let's keep in touch!
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | Google+

Follow my blog:
Bloglovin' | RSS
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...