Monday, January 27, 2014

Operation: Get Perfect Skin - 6 Month Update

It's been a while since I updated about Operation: Get Perfect Skin. I wanted to fix my habit of falling asleep in my makeup, wash my face more consistently, and find a routine that worked for me. It's been 6 months or so since I last updated, and I'd love to share what I've learned since then.

Operation: Get Perfect Skin

New Knowledge

First of all, I've taken it upon myself to learn more about the junk I'm putting on my face. One of my favorite sources of information has been /r/skincareaddiction, which has so many wonderful resources, FAQs, and guides for any sort of skincare needs. Seriously, if you've got it, they have a guide or link about it - from dark circles to acne scars and everything in between.

Mostly through the help of /r/skincareaddiction, I've learned that so much of my conventional skincare knowledge was totally wrong, and I've rebuilt my routine based on that information. Check out the Beginner's Routine to learn more about what your own skincare routine should look like - it's really informative!

In With The New 

I switched to only cleansing my face in the evenings to get rid of makeup and the day's grime after learning that cleansing twice a day may actually lead to dry skin. That means my morning routine starts with moisturizer and makeup rather than a cleanser.

Operation: Get Perfect Skin 6 month follow up

In the evenings, I have switched a few things around. First, I take off my makeup with Lush's 9 to 5, which is still my go-to (for now). Next, I use Beauty Without Cruelty's AHA cleanser. AHAs, or Alpha Hydroxy Acids, are a chemical exfoliant and are safe for daily use without being as harsh as a physical exfoliant. In truth, I chose Beauty Without Cruelty because I knew it was vegan and cruelty free and I wouldn't have to search too hard, but I may look into trying out another product soon.

After the AHA cleanser, I use the oil cleansing method and massage my face with plain mineral oil. I've used the oil cleansing method in the past, and I'm glad to be back on the wagon! Mineral oil can actually dislodge gross stuff from your pores, which is pretty magical to me, and it makes my skin softer. I don't use mineral oil every day since it's a little messy, but I end up using it several times a week.

Afterwards, I use a moisturizer. I haven't found one I'm truly loyal to yet - I'm still switching back and forth with some sample sizes that I have. I love my MuLondon moisturizer, but I'm worried it's actually too heavy for my skin now that it's balanced out some.

I have also switched over to microfiber towels for gently patting my face dry - I read someone on /r/skincareaddiction say that switching to microfiber helped her skin out, so I figure it's worth a shot. It also feels like blankets on my skin, so that's a plus too!

Conclusion

I love this new routine and I feel better about the products I'm using. My biggest hurdle is simply consistency. I will stick to my routine for a while, but after staying up a little too late to watch a movie or study, I'm too tired to wash my face. Then my skin is vengeful for the next few days! Although I've gotten better at at least washing off my makeup, consistency is something I will have to work at.

What's your skincare routine like?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...