Monday, March 17, 2014

ATX: Emerald Tavern Games and Cafe

Being a geek in Austin is a real treat! Austin is known for keepin' it weird, so I feel like we're lucky when it comes to geekery. So today I want to share with you one of my favorite local businesses - Emerald Tavern Games and Cafe!

Emerald Tavern Games & Cafe

Emerald Tavern is a tabletop gaming paradise mixed with a cafe. Aside from an extensive game library that is free to borrow from and play in-store, Emerald Tavern also offers games and accessories for sale. On top of all that, the cafe serves coffee and tea, light food like sandwiches and pastries, and even local brews.

So basically, you can sit and relax with your friends, play all the games you want, and just hang out. No pressure! They have everything from classics like Catan and Munchkin to games so bizarre that I swear they aren't even real, but they totally are. The staff is also incredibly kind and has always been accommodating to any requests or questions I've had.

Emerald Tavern Games & Cafe
Emerald Tavern Games & Cafe

I love getting my friends together for a fun night of gaming! I usually grab a big latte or mug of green tea, a game I've never heard of, and get started. Most recently, we picked out Oh Gnome You Don't and Snake Oil. My favorite of the night was definitely Snake Oil - it was basically the "arguing your point" part of Apples to Apples, which is the best part anyway.

I love trying out games I've never heard of before, and Emerald Tavern gives a way to try before you buy. Genius!  Plus, if you're not a pro at tabletop games (and I am definitely not!), this helps you learn more about games in general. I'd never played Munchkin, a super popular card game, before finding it at Emerald Tavern, but now it's one of my favorite games!

Emerald Tavern Games & Cafe

If you are ever in town, I definitely suggest stopping by. Check their Facebook ahead of time for their specials! It's such a simple, but flawlessly-executed concept, and I want to show them all the support I can!

Do you have any dedicated tabletop gaming places where you live?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...