Wednesday, March 12, 2014

South by Southwest Interactive 2014

It's the busiest time of the year for an Austinite in the digital media field - South by Southwest! What started as a music festival has evolved into a giant conference with film, music, and interactive components. Through my MBA tuition, I received a platinum pass, which gives access to all (official) events. This is my first year attending, and it is as exciting as it is overwhelming! It reminded me of San Diego Comic Con, actually, in terms of scale, brand takeovers, and programming.

Naturally, I am most interested in the interactive parts - I love learning what's up and coming in my field. I went to a lot of really fascinating panels and keynote presentations, met up with others in the industry, and learned about all kinds of companies, brands, and apps. For me, the music, film, and parties are bonuses (but super fun bonuses!).

The interactive component ended yesterday, so I wanted to look back on my favorite parts before saying goodbye.

SXSW Interactive 2013

(Clockwise from top right) 
  1. My business cards and my badge. Business cards make it easy to keep up with people you meet!
  2. I met Grumpy Cat! She was asleep but still the most adorable little grump ever. 
  3. This beautiful chalk art by the Radius Design Team was so impressive and detailed.
  4. Pacing yourself is important! I spent a lot of time in the Samsung Blogger Lounge recharging with coffee. I also won a little plush of Owly, the Hootsuite owl, which is the most adorable thing ever.
  5. I saw an early screening of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey followed by a panel discussion with the creators, including Neil DeGrasse Tyson. This was one of my favorite events from SXSW!
  6. The Game of Thrones exhibit stopped in town. I loved seeing the details of the costumes up close and previews of the upcoming season. Of course, sitting on the Iron Throne and giving my best Cersei face was also fun.
For more photos, be sure to follow me on Instagram!

Have you heard of or attended SXSW?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...