Thursday, December 20, 2012

♡ Marina and The Diamonds Lonely Hearts Club Tour ♡

This week, I had the privilege to see one of my favorite musical artists in concert -- Marina and the Diamonds!

Marina and the Diamonds | Lonely Hearts Club Tour | Austin, TX
Marina takes the stage.
Marina is one of the few artists I've felt a deep connection with in a long time. Her songs are honest and reflect a lot of familiar emotions. It doesn't hurt that she is super witty and has a lot of clever one-liners within her songs.

I took a video of one of her songs -- I Am Not a Robot

Her aesthetic is also really appealing to me -- she is all about taking girly stereotypes and turning them on their head. I love that she uses visuals and lyrics as a social commentary. Her style is sort of retro-chic combined with American anti-glam.

Marina and the Diamonds | Lonely Hearts Club Tour | Austin, TX
Marina in her "Miss Shellfish Beach" sash.
So of course, when I found out she was coming on tour, I had to go! Through a series of coincidences, I wound up going alone, but I did talk to some other fans (diamonds!). The opening band was Icono Pop, all the way from Sweden. I hadn't heard of them before, but they had some really great music and were really excited to be performing.

Marina and the Diamonds | Lonely Hearts Club Tour | Austin, TX
Marina in a wedding veil.
And then Marina came on stage. It was so crazy to see that many Marina fans gathered together -- very few of my friends listen to her. Hearing so many people scream and sing lyrics and say "We love you Marina!" was almost surreal, although I know she isn't unpopular by any means. Marina is just wonderful live, she is truly talented and her personality is adorable. 

I was really close to getting her to sign the shirt I bought, but she cut off the line right before me! Aw. I totally understand though, I'd be exhausted after performing. 

Marina and the Diamonds | Lonely Hearts Club Tour | Austin, TX
Me with my heart on my cheek, like Marina's trademark tattoo.
I decided to emulate Marina's style (which, hey, is pretty similar to my own), so I wore this mint lace dress from ModCloth and painted a heart on my cheek. There were a lot of mini-Marinas and cheek-hearts at the venue, and someone had even made a cardboard cutout of a Shampain bottle! So creative!

Marina and the Diamonds | Lonely Hearts Club Tour | Austin, TX
Me with Mr. Shampain.
Outfit Details
Dress: ModCloth | Bow Necklace: Gift from Liz | Shoes (not visible): DSW

Overall, I really enjoyed the show and it was great to meet other Marina fans. I hope she comes on tour again soon and I can actually meet her! I think it's safe to say that my first solo concert venture was a success.

Marina and the Diamonds | Lonely Hearts Club Tour | Austin, TX
Lonely Hearts Club Tour and Electra Heart neon sign.

Have you gone to any concerts lately?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...