Monday, December 31, 2012

What I Did: Ikkicon 2012

Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers
Colby and I as Ramona and Scott from Scott Pilgrim!

Ikkicon! Ikki is in Austin, Texas and usually falls through New Year's weekend (although that didn't happen this year). After the summer conventions, it's several months until the next Texas convention, so I always look forward to Ikkicon! It's also the perfect time for me as a student; I can celebrate the end of the semester by finishing up a costume and hanging out with my con friends.


Ramona Flowers and her Subspace Purse
Ramona digging through her subspace purse.
This year, I decided to make a costume of Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim! I have wanted to cosplay this character since I first saw the movie version and later read the comics, but I haven't ever felt confident enough to attempt it. I'm not the best at sewing, wig styling, or other cosplay skills, but this year, I was determined.

Ramona Flowers
Ramona Flowers

So I rolled up my sleeves, bought a dress pattern, fabric, and wig supplies, and got to work! The dress actually came out nearly perfectly. It fits like it was made for my specific body type and went off without a hitch (almost). I could even wear it as a regular dress if I wanted! (I wish you could see it more underneath the jacket.)

The wig was the other difficult part for me, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. I've never styled a wig before so it was a new adventure for me.

Overall, the costume was incredibly comfortable and creating it went smoothly!

Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers
Colby and I as Scott and Ramona again.

I did a little mini photoshoot with Colby as my Scott, and I love the way the photos came out! I got a new camera for Christmas -- the Canon Rebel T3i -- and although I know little about photography, my photos are already coming out wonderfully. I would definitely recommend it for the beginner photographer interested in owning a DSLR camera. All the photos in this post were taken with the auto settings!

Lumpy Space Princess Cosplay
Peony as Lumpy Space Princess.
Lumpy Space Princess Cosplay
"Oh. My. Glob."



I also took photos of my dearest Peony wearing her Lumpy Space Princess costume, which I wore previously at San Japan! So much sass in a single costume.

Football Rainbow Dash and Cheerleader Rarity
Football Rainbow Dash and Cheerleader Rarity.

My other friends Joss and Nine went as Rainbow Dash and Rarity with a twist -- they went as a football player and a cheerleader. Too cute.

Ramona and Rainbow Dash
Anna and I!

I also met up with the lovely Anna of Glitzy Geek Girl, also dressed as Rainbow Dash! I'm sad we didn't get to talk more, but she is super rad. She decided we are BBFFs (Best Blogging Friends Forever) and I think that is the best!

Ramona and LSP
Peony and I at the restaurant we had lunch at.

As usual, I had a great time at Ikkicon and am looking forward to planning my 2013 costumes and conventions! I have cosplay resolutions for the upcoming year and I can't wait to see where it takes me. 

For more of my con photos, please visit my Flickr photostream
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...