Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Guest Post: Letters and Care Packages

Psst, I'm in Disney World right now! Wanna keep up with me? Check out my Twitter or Instagram.

Jo and I are exchanging guest posts! I just joined the International Geek Girl Penpal Club and I love Jo's creativity with her letters and care packages, so I asked her to share some! Be sure to pop by her blog to say hello and see some of her other posts.

Hi! I'm Jo, the writer behind Jo, My Gosh! I'm the fiancee of a sailor currently on a year-long deployment to Afghanistan. I blog about deployment, wedding planning, crafts, care packages, and recipes! I'm so excited to share a small part of my life with you!

Mia asked me to write a little bit about the letters and care packages that I've sent to John over the last year.  With just a few more weeks left in the deployment, I thought this would be the perfect way to look back and recap.

Today is day 351 of John's deployment, and to date, I've written 351 letters to him. I love to write and, at the beginning of the deployment, I thought it would be a perfect way to chronicle the year and ensure that John received regular mail. I'll be honest, Nicholas Sparks was part of my inspiration. You see, I hate Nicholas Sparks, and I hate The Notebook, too. In The Notebook, Noah, sends What's-Her-Face a letter every day for a year. Whatever, I thought. I can do that. And I have been... I'm just 14 days away from completing an entire year of letters.

If you're interested, here are some of my favorite envelope doodles:


Up until last week, I was sending John care packages every two weeks or so. But now, he's coming home, and I can't send anymore! (I don't think I've ever been so happy to have someone tell me that I can't do something!) I try to make sure the care packages are decorated with cute or funny themes.

Here's a veggie-filled package that riffed on Forrest Gump's famous "peas and carrots" quote:


I've sent him a lot of dorky puns, too. Lucky for John, he got a two-fer in this St. Patrick's Day (Root) Beer Pong box.


I also tried to stay topical when possible. This was one of the first boxes John received so he could celebrate the Summer Olympics, too.  I sent him sports-themed items-- Gatorade, sports magazines, a small basketball backboard...

And then there were holiday care packages, too. I sent John an Easter egg hunt in a box in April. (And cookies, too. I always send him lots of cookies and homemade granola bars.)

If you're interested in seeing all of the care packages I've sent John in the past year, check them out here. I'd love to have you drop by!

If you liked this post, let's keep in touch!
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | Google+

Follow my blog:
Bloglovin' | RSS
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...