Monday, April 14, 2014

Cosplay: April Progress

collage

If you've been around for a little while, you may remember my 2014 cosplay goals post. I'm proud to report that I've made pretty good progress on the costumes from my list as well as a few random extra ones! I blog a lot about the process of cosplay, so I thought it'd be a good idea to share what I'm currently working on.

I wound up starting quite a few costumes, some of which I won't be wearing until San Diego Comic Con in July. I wanted to take advantage of Ebay's cash back rewards, so I went ahead and bought every item I'd need so I could accumulate enough. I also bought quite a few wigs in Arda's wig sale. So while I have a lot of cosplays in progress, I haven't had as much time to work on them - that's why there's still so much to do!

And just so you know - everything looks really weird on my dress form because the measurements aren't right, haha! It looks much better on a human.

Ramona Flowers (movie) - 70% complete

Dallas Comic Con - May


Cosplay Progress
ramona

This costume is pretty easy, but it's a little difficult to find accurate pieces. I am modifying almost everything I've purchased - I need to shorten the dress still, and I've already painted ombre stripes on half of the top. The wig is also a little tricky. I started with an incredibly long wig (to make sure I'd have enough hair for the front pieces), then cut it into the right shape, then dyed part of it black. I need to thin out and trim the wig a little more. Other than a few finishing touches here and there, I also have to make a new hammer and I'm still deciding how I want to do it!

Daenerys Targaryen (Dothraki baby shower) - 30% complete

Dallas Comic Con - May


Cosplay Progress
danaerys


This costume has a lot more details than you'd think at first glance. I purchased the jeggings, pin, and boots as well as the fabric for the top. I have also pre-ordered the wig, and I have my heart prop and fake blood. I've begun working on the top and some of the bottom, but my fabric is proving difficult to dye. I'm still experimenting to see what will work best. I also haven't started on details like Dany's necklace, armband, and belts.

Mami Tomoe (school uniform) - 10% complete

A-Kon - June


Cosplay Progress

I have sewn the skirt, and I attempted to style the wig and failed miserably. I'll have to re-do the wig, make the hair accessories, and sew the jacket, as well as make the hair accessories. I bought the shoes already. I have a lot left on this costume!

Mako Mankanshoku (school uniform) - 95% complete

A-Kon - June


Cosplay Progress

I took the easy route on this costume and ordered the sailor fuku and wig, though they haven't arrived yet. I already have socks and shoes. The only thing I need to do is make the necktie and then I'm done!

Taiga Aisaka (school uniform) - 95% complete

A-Kon - June

Cosplay Progress
taiga

I bought this costume from a friend who bought it from a friend. It was really affordable! I have the wig on pre-order, bought and modified a sword, and bought the socks and shoes, so this costume is nearly completed. I just need to find a plain white button-down and wait for everything to come in.

Butters Stotch (Stick of Truth) - 80% complete

San Diego Comic Con - July


Cosplay Progress
butters

I'm wearing this for a South Park: The Stick of Truth group at SDCC! I'm lucky my group wanted me to be Butters because his costume is fairly easy to put together. I have all the base pieces, now I just need to modify them and add details. I had the wig lying around - I still haven't decided exactly how I want to style it, since Butters has some weird hair.

I'm actually really proud of the hammer! I put it together with different pieces I had laying around - I only had to purchase the chrome spray paint! It's made of cardboard, model magic, styrofoam, spray paint, and part of my Ramona hammer handle (I trimmed it and kept the excess - sometimes being a cosplay hoarder is useful!).

Cheryl/Carol Tunt - 90% complete

San Diego Comic Con - July


Cosplay Progress

This costume is easy! I already had most of the clothing in my closet and only had to buy the wig and top. I may buy more modest heels so I can walk easier at the convention. Other than minor details, this costume is complete.

The most work-intensive costume I'm making right now is Mami Tomoe, followed by Daenerys. I like to have one bigger project and a few smaller ones at the same time - that way, when I get frustrated with one thing, I can work on something easier.

That being said, I'm ready to finish up some of these costumes so my to do list is shorter! My focus right now is Daenerys, then Ramona, followed by finishing up little pieces on the costumes that are nearly done.

What cosplays are you working on right now?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...