Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Confessions of a Blogger

The Nerdy Girlie started a Confessions of a Blogger link up, and when I saw all the confessions from my fellow bloggers, I knew I had to participate! If you want to join, simply post 5 of your own blogger confessions.

My Blog Confessions

I can get embarrassingly competitive with other bloggers. 

As much as I try to stay away from blog envy, it can be really difficult sometimes! It's so easy to compare who has more readers, who is getting more partnerships with brands, who is doing cool stuff with other bloggers... but for me, it's toxic, not healthy competition. Blogging is only one look at someone - it's exactly what they choose to share. You can never get a full look at who someone is or what their story is from a blog, so there is no point in comparison. I've gone to a few in-person blog events that have taught me the value of blogging as a community effort - it's not about comparison, it's about creation! Keeping that in mind is really important to my happiness as a blogger. (If you're struggling with blog envy, join communities, like the Female Geek Bloggers group!)

When I disappear, it's usually because my depression is hitting hard. 

I feel like this is probably obvious, but I've never said it. Whenever I take a long break from blogging, it's usually because of my depression. I decided a long time ago that I do my best work when I'm in a good place mentally, so if my depression is impacting me, I take a break. I think it's the best choice for my mental health, and I always come back, but I do feel like it's disappointing to people who keep up with my blog.

I don't have a niche.

I envy bloggers who talk about one specific topic - it seems so much easier to plan and create content! I've always been interested in so many things, so it is impossible for me to narrow down what I talk about. The most challenging part of not having a niche is keeping a good mix of all topics and not relying too much on any single topic.

I want to create a digital product.

I want to write an e-book, or design an e-course, or come up with some kind of digital product to sell, but I don't know where to start! I've wanted to do this for a while now, but I struggle with finding a good balance - I never want to charge people to read the work I'd normally give out for free, so anything I charge for would have to be above-and-beyond.

I'm NOT afraid of self-promotion.

A lot of bloggers doing this link up say that they have a hard time with self-promotion. It's the catch-22 of being a blogger - you can write all the great content you want, but you have to put it out there somehow. I used to have difficulty understanding the line between "informative and useful" and "annoying and spammy," but I think I've found my comfort level with pushing out my own content. I've done a lot of experimentation to see what works for me and what doesn't, and I think that helps me be comfortable with putting myself out there.

What are your blogger confessions?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...