This year, I have quite a few costumes on my list. 10, to be exact. Whoops. I'll elaborate on which ones are definite and which I'm simply hopeful to make. I'm planning on having more time this year to work on cosplay -- I graduate in May! -- but we'll see how it all pans out! With 7 conventions on my list this year, maybe I'll be able to get it all done!
Characters to Cosplay in 2015
- Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls: This is for a special group cosplay with Liz and Peony! We're doing a fun interpretation, hopefully at Anime Fest.
- Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Confession: This was on my list last year and didn't get completed. I messed up styling the wig and wound up having to throw most of my work in the garbage. I was really discouraged about that, but now that I've worked with wigs a little more, I think I'm ready to attempt this wig again.
- Stephanie Brown from Batgirl: This is a dream cosplay of mine! I don't have the skills to make the bodysuit, so I'm commissioning it from The Geeky Seamstress. I'm really excited to work with her on it! I'm also commissioning my cowl from ReevzFX. I'm aiming to have this complete by
Dallas Comic ConDallas Fan Expo in May.
- Silk Spectre from Watchmen: I have all the base pieces, just have to do a little sewing and wig work! Liz will be my fem-Comedian.
- Hannah from Rat Queens: Awesome comic, awesome lady. I predict this costume will be more difficult than anticipated -- there are a lot of small details. This is another costume with Liz for Anime Fest!
- Disgust from Inside Out: This movie isn't even out yet, but I love the looks of this character. This is a "maybe" costume for me. Liz is doing another character, Sadness.
- Codex from The Guild: Another costume carried over from 2014, since we (again, Liz and I) decided not to do The Guild last year. Hopefully when we live a little closer, we can have crafting nights together.
- Midna from The Legend of Zelda: I'm so excited for this costume! I'm going to be part of a Hyrule Warriors group at A-Kon. I'm really excited to make the helmet and work on the wig.
- Princess Yue from Avatar: The Last Airbender: Another costume from 2014's list. According to my Timehop, I've had some of the materials for this costume for 2 years. Not cool! Gotta finish this one!
- Zoe Benson from American Horror Story: Coven: This is so easy, it really shouldn't count. ;) I loved Coven and all I'd need to cosplay this is a wig!
In addition to the characters I hope to cosplay this year, I have a few cosplay-related goals this year.
- Release my Cosplay 101 e-book. I have had this project in my brain for a while, but now it's official! I'm working on my Cosplay 101 e-book and hope to release it in the coming months.
- Enter a cosplay contest. I have never felt like my cosplay work has merited a contest entry, but my cosplay is getting progressively more and more quality. I look forward to trying out a contest this year, just for fun!
- Attend more cosplay-related panels at conventions. Unless a friend or someone I admire is hosting a panel, I typically don't attend any at conventions. I want to be better about going to panels to increase my knowledge.
- Improve my sewing skills. I want my work to be higher quality and less rushed this year. That means actually finishing seams, taking my time, and really working and re-working each piece until it's where I want it to be.