Thursday, September 27, 2012

Guest Post: Pirate Kitty Crafts

Today I'm interviewing my friend Cat, who spearheaded Hardstyle Princess and is the owner of Pirate Kitty Crafts, a small business on Etsy. Cat loves decoden, lolita, and assorted nerdery! 


A chocolate pencil case decorated with cute things, syrup, and whipped cream.

What is Pirate Kitty Crafts?

PKC is just a little pet project of mine. I like experimenting with a variety of crafting techniques, and my Etsy shop is a way for me to share some of my creations. 

Where did you get the idea for the name, Pirate Kitty Crafts?

I used to cosplay on a regular basis, and "Pirate Kitty" was my handle for a while. I have loved pirates for ages, and my name is 'Cat' so... Yarrr! XD

What is Decoden? How did you discover it?

Decoden is a fun, crafty way to make your world more sparkly and delicious! There's a lot of different styles, but it basically comes down to decorating items in fun, colorful ways. Most of the things I decorate look like super shiny, technicolor sweet treats, but there's also people who just do straight up non-food related designs, as well as those who make very realistic miniature items. Everyone seems to pick a style that appeals to them and there are so many talented crafters out there! 

Cute deco headphones!

I came upon Deco after being involved in lolita for a while. Deco accessories are very popular with many of the girls that wear the fashion. I was eager to try it out myself, so I started watching tutorial after tutorial until I thought I was ready. When I actually got started, it was a ton of fun, and I wondered why I had waited so long!

I was lucky enough to be at your first deco workshop panel at San Japan! What was it like to teach a large audience, and do you think you'll do another one?
Oh wow, it was so much fun, and I was so happy to teach people what I know, but I was learning a lot myself! I've done a lot of panels and several workshops, but the deco panel was a new experience. It was really popular, all of the seats were filled at the tables, which was a fantastic surprise. I found myself talking to the group at a super fast pace because I was so excited for all of them to get started! Everyone was really patient with me while we did things like distribute supplies and explained how to use them, and I saw some great pieces being made, some of them by first timers! I would love to do this panel again, but with more...everything! More time for people to work, more space, more supplies, maybe even a helper or two to give more hands-on instruction to the participants. I'm always looking for ways to improve my panels and this one has a lot of room to grow!
 
Legend of Zelda stained glass necklace.


Other than deco, what are some of your other hobbies?Oh, several! I'm a fairly active member in my local lolita community, and I love planning and attending meetups. This also gives me an opportunity to exercise one of my other passions- cooking! I do love making sweets that people can actually eat! Other than that, I'm a fairly standard nerd who collects comics, figures, and lots of cute toys... I've also gotten in to tabletop gaming lately. I'm running a totally kicking Pokemon campaign right now. We're the bad guys! :3

That's it for the interview! Any final thoughts?I love your blog and I miss youuuuu! <3


All items in this post are from Pirate Kitty Crafts! If you shop now and use the code AHOYAHOY, you can get 10% off your order.

I miss the ATX lolitas so much! I'm so happy to still be able to communicate with all the wonderful ladies I met online. Thank you for the interview, Cat!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...