Monday, September 9, 2013

Cosplay: Hipster Fionna from Adventure Time

It's no secret that I love Adventure Time! I've cosplayed Fionna before, but I didn't like the way her outfit fell on me. The skirt felt really tight and short, the socks were uncomfortable and didn't stay up, and overall I just didn't feel my best. Even though I spent some time making the hat, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be cosplaying her again.
A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls

Then, a little idea crept in that I couldn't get enough of. I love crossover cosplays because it can take a common costume and give it a fun twist. Hipster crossovers crack me up, mostly because I love hipster style, and particularly with Adventure Time because some people dislike it because it's a "hipster cartoon." The word "hipster" is so nebulous and hard to define that it makes it silly reason to dislike something, so I thought a hipster-type costume would be especially fun.

A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls

Fionna from Adventure Time

Fionna is basically the cannonical genderbend version of Finn, and sadly has only been in two episodes so far! I love the genderbend episodes and Fionna struggles with being more into fighting than fashion and how to embrace who she is. 

Conventions


Materials:



A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls

It was really fun wearing Fionna at the convention, especially because I had Peony as Science!Princess Bubblegum and Liz as Hipster!LSP! We took some awesome photos and we definitely look like a rockin' girl gang. I was a lot more comfortable in this modified version of Fionna, partly because these new socks were much better and partly because this costume is way more my style.

I was inspired by a lot of fan art of Fionna, especially this piece and this piece. I wanted to maintain her same color scheme and her iconic hat and socks, but with a more stylish, detailed twist.  I love the idea that she would wear her hat, but open and with long, loose pigtails and with a ton of accessories. I also wore my "21 is Terrific" button that Peony got me since we wore this on our birthday! I added a Sharpie mustache to my finger and walked around with my giant DSLR camera around my neck, and I think it all turned out pretty dang cute. Plus, with costumes that are made of actual clothing pieces, I can always re-wear the pieces outside of cosplay.

A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls A-Fest 2013 - Hipster Adventure Time Girls

For more cosplay, check my cosplay tag here or my cosplay page!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...