Friday, November 15, 2013

DIY: How to Make a Flower Crown or Headband

When I made my flower/leaf crown for my deer girl Halloween costume, I took a few photos along the way to show the process! Making your own flower headband is really easy - it probably took me 10 minutes and only requires hot glue skills. (The only thing that didn't work out, actually, was the antlers I made - they just wouldn't stay put and the hot glue melted them. C'est la vie!)

I used this method to make both the crown pictured and the crown I wore in this outfit.

flower crown diy 3

A few more tips... 

  • Use a headband that's the same color as your hair or the flowers you'll be using. I usually use a lighter one since I'm blonde, but I picked brown this time since I knew I'd be in a darker wig for this costume. 
  • If you can, use a wig head! It's so much easier to see how end result with a styrofoam head to work on.
  • Use the scissors to cut the canvas mesh and trim the flowers/other accents to the height you want them.
  • Arrange your pieces BEFORE you glue them!
  • Play around with angles to see which way you want your flowers. Some look better when glued facing up from the crown, rather than straight.

If you make a crown, show me photos! I'd love to see how it turns out!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...