Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Letting Go & Becoming Barbara Gordon

Letting Go & Becoming Barbara Gordon

I have been blonde my entire life. I was born with white-blonde, Targaryen hair which faded to dirty blonde. In my teens I discovered the miracle of highlights and relished in becoming blonder each time I left the salon. (As my hairdresser would say, "The blonder, the better.") Except for a brief stint with a botched, supposed-to-be-red-but-was-definitely-brown dye job, blonde has been my one constant.

I have always believed that being blonde was a natural -- and important, if not crucial -- part of my aesthetic and personality. It sounds so frivolous when I put it out there, but it's true. It's amazing what we get attached to!

Letting Go & Becoming Barbara Gordon

I am not a spontaneous person... but when I realized my hair color was limiting me, even in subtle ways, I immediately decided it needed to change. After lots of research, the next morning, I went to Lush, bought their henna hair dye in Caca Rouge, and went to work. The dye sits for about 4-6 hours - plenty of  time for "What have I gotten myself into?" doubts!

After washing the mud out of my hair, I was shocked to see how bright my hair was. Red hair feels totally different from being blonde, but I absolutely love it. Most importantly, I still feel like myself, even without my blonde hair. I'm so ready to move forward and join the sassy redhead club, along with Barbara Gordon, Merida, Flame Princess, and so many more!

Letting Go & Becoming Barbara Gordon

For those of you looking into henna hair dyes, Lush's dyes are easier to use and better quality than many other henna dyes out there. But keep in mind that henna will have totally different results based on your base hair color! The results last a lot longer than your typical chemical red dye, but they are also sort of permanent, so make your decision wisely! I looked through a lot of photos and reviews from people with similar hair and did a strand test before covering my whole head. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...