Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cosplay 101: Using Evernote for Cosplay

Last week on Cosplay 101, we talked about planning and budgeting! Let me introduce you to my friend, Evernote, where I do the majority of my cosplay planning. You've probably heard of this service before! I use it for almost everything, but it's especially useful for cosplay.

Evernote for Cosplay

Evernote Basics

Evernote is a cloud-based, digital notebook. You can include formatting and images, share notebooks with friends, and, most importantly to me, access it from anywhere! I am someone who has to write down everything to remember it, so being able to access Evernote from any computer or even my phone is tremendously helpful. If I come up with a great idea, or something I want to investigate later, I can write it down, no matter where I am. I also utilize this function so I can see reference images and tutorials on the go, especially at a fabric store or thrift shop. (How many yards did I need? Wait, what color is that skirt?

Evernote allows you to create notebooks (like folders) and notes (like files inside each folder). I also love that you can tag your notes, and search through your notes - it's pretty hard to lose what you're looking for.

Evernote for Cosplay

Organizing with Evernote

I have a separate notebook for cosplay, and inside, each character I'm planning on cosplaying has a note. I store character references, cosplay photos from others who have done the character, and my own notes for the costume's construction. As I work on a costume, I add more information (like expected arrival dates for packages) and cross off items as they are completed.

In the example above, you can see that the right side has Mami Tomoe's character sheet. The left side has each item I will need - circle lenses, wig, jacket - along with links to the specific item I want to buy or any good tutorials I find. I also write down the cost (sometimes estimated) of each of these items. This way, my planning and budgeting is all in one place!

How do you keep track of your cosplay plans?


Previously:
Choosing a Character 
Planning & Budgeting for Cosplay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...